On May 8, 2004, Arizona State and Sun Devil Stadium hosted a memorial for Pat Tillman. At the time of the event, the program listed 23 other Arizonans who had recently lost their lives defending our freedom.
While we continue to celebrate the life of Pat Tillman 10 years after his passing and he continues to inspire, Sun Devil Athletics also sends its thoughts to the families who lost those someone special to them around the same time as when Pat passed away. They were remembered then, and we want to remember them now as well.
Remembering the Arizonans Who Lost Their Lives Defending America (May of 2004)
- Captain Jay T. Aubin (U.S. Marine Corps – Yuma)
- Sergeant Benjamin W. Biskie (U.S. Army – Tucson)
- Specialist Nate Caldwell (U.S. Army – Tolleson)
- Specialist Isaac Campoy (U.S. Army – Douglas)
- Sergeant Sean K. Cataudella (U.S. Army – Tucson)
- Command Sergeant Major Eric F. Cooke (U.S. Army – Mesa)
- Specialist Spencer T. Karol (U.S. Army – Woodruff)
- Airman First Class Raymond Lasano (U.S. Air Force – Tucson)
- Chief Warrant Officer Matthew C. Laskowski (U.S. Army – Phoenix)
- Staff Sergeant William T. Latham (U.S. Army – Kingman)
- Seaman Joshua McIntosh (U.S. Navy – Kingman)
- Sergeant Michael M. Merila (U.S. Army – Sierra Vista)
- Chief Warrant Officer Christopher G. Nason (U.S. Army – Fort Huachuca)
- Sergeant Fernando Padilla-Ramirez (U.S. Marine Corps – San Luis)
- Captain Eric T. Paliwoda (U.S. Army – Goodyear)
- Specialist Alyssa R. Peterson (U.S. Army – Flagstaff)
- Private First Class Lori Ann Piestewa (U.S. Army – Tuba City)
- Petty Officer Third Class David Sisung (U.S. Navy – Phoenix)
- Sergeant Lee D. Todacheene (U.S. Navy – Lukachukai)
- Lieutenant Nathan D. White (U.S. Navy – Mesa)
- Lance Corporal Michael J. Williams (U.S. Marine Corps – Yuma)
- Sergeant Elijah Tai Wah Wong (U.S. Army – Mesa)
- Lance Corporal Robert Paul Zurheide, Jr. (U.S. Marine Corps – Tucson)
Sun Devil Athletics is committed to honoring and celebrating those who serve our country. Each year we host a number of Military Appreciation Nights for a number of different sports, and we recognized a veteran at every football game in 2013.
As part of our #SaluteToService football game in 2013, fans were able to purchase a ticket to donate to an active military member or veteran, and Sun Devil Athletics matched every donated ticket with a second ticket.
We’re looking forward to continuing to celebrate our servicemen and women in 2014-15 year.